Volunteering: Offering your Time and Talent
The Shambhala School is infinitely enriched by the commitment of our families who offer time and talent to the school. Not only does volunteer activity reduce costs and fees and allow us to offer bursaries to some families, but this co-creation of the school community by parents exemplifies the kind of generous and warm society we want our children to be part of and is a way for parents to feel part of the community as well.
As a way to help us all be intentional about our contribution, and to help the school track the level of volunteerism it can count on, we ask each family to commit to a minimum of 30 hours of work each school year. Purchases that are requested by the school can also count toward your family commitment. eg, if you are asked to buy $50 of snack food for a school trip, your financial outlay of $50 (if un-refunded) counts as 5 hours of work towards your 30 hour annual commitment. (each $10 donation of requested food or materials purchased = 1 hour of work). Donations to our Food Bank campaigns or other fundraisers are not counted towards the 30 hour commitment.
**Please track you volunteer hours by clicking here to use this quick, easy form!**
Thank you for your time, talent and friendship to this school community.
Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities
Read the Friday News to keep an eye on volunteer opportunities and watch your email for additional opportunities shared by Reception or your class parents to support outdoor education, field trips, classroom support and events.
Spring Outdoor Education Trips
- Wed, May 11th and Fri May 13th – Drives for Grade 9/10 Outdoor Education Trip
- Wed, May 18th and Fri, May 20th – Drives and Food for Grade 11/12 Outdoor Education Trip
- Thurs, June 2nd and Fri June 3rd – Drives and Food for Grade 6-8 Outdoor Education Trips
- Drives and Food for Grade 5 Outdoor Education Trip
Spring Performances and Celebrations
- Fri, May 27th – Spring Elementary Festival and Fun Fair
- Sat May 28th and Sun May 29th – Middle School Shakespeare Performance ” A Midsummer Night’s Dream”
- Fri June 3 – Sun June 5th – Grade 9-12 Drama Production “Forever 99”
- Wed, June 8th – Gr 5-12 Music Performance
- Fri, June 10th – Pre-Primary and Elementary Closing Ceremony
- Sat, June 11th – Grade 12 Prom
- Thurs, June 16th – Grade 6-12 Annual Commencement and Naming Ceremony
- Sat, June 11th – Shambhala School Yard Sale and Plant sale in conjunction with the Hydrostone Haul
Ongoing Volunteer opportunities
- Assist with door monitoring in the morning (contact parent volunteer – Nora Jacobson)
- Assist with after-school sports (contact Ms. Jenn)
Looking for Donations
- May 2022 – Ms. Judith is looking for cardboard to use to make props for the Norse Play for the Elementary Spring Festival
- May 2022 – Mr Fletcher is looking for Fanny Packs to borrow for the Drama Club’s Production Forever 99
- April 2022 – The Upper School is in need of- forks, dessert forks, teaspoons, and soup spoons. We have plenty of dinner knives. If you have any flatware that you’d like to donate or loan, we would deeply appreciate it!
- March 2022 – Call for Materials to Repurpose for Art. Our Upper School students are working on an art project using repurposed materials. We are asking school families to help us source parts and pieces. We are looking for old computers, computer parts, keyboards, CDs and and fanny packs. If you have any of these items that you wish to unload we are more than happy to repurpose, send contributions for Ms. Miro in with your student or drop them off at the office.